Temple's Speciality:

Lord of the temple is a swayambumurthy. The rays of Sun fall on the Lord on 11, 12 and 13 of Panguni in March.




Navagraha

Rahu

Direction

South West

Metal

Lead

Gem

Hessonite

Element

Air

Color

Smoky

Other Names

Tam, Asur, Bhujang, Kapilash, Sarp

Mount (Vahana)

Blue–Black Lion

Consort

Karali

Mahadasha

18 Years

Moolavar

Nageswarar, Naganathar

Thala Virutcham

Vilwa

Theertham

Maha Magam Tank

Amman / Thayar

Periya Nayaki

Age of Temple

1000-2000 years old

City

Kudanthai Keelkottam

District

Kumbakonam

State

Tamil Nadu


Address:

Sri Nageswarar Temple, (Kudanthai Keelkottam), Kumbakonam-612 001. Phone no:+91- 435-243 0386.

Opening Time:

The temple is open from 6.00 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 4.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.

Festivals:

The main and most important festival of the temple is the Theerthavari when the Lord comes to Mahamagam tank. Other festivals of the temple are Purattasi Navarathri in August–September.Margazhi Tiruvadhirai in December–January and Panguni Peru Vizha Great Festival in March–April.

Temple History:

During the churning of the ocean, the Divine serpent Adisesha was bearing the whole weight of earth. As the weight grew due to the sins committed by the wicked, he could not carry the excess weight and felt exhausted. He visited Mount Kailash and begged Lord Shiva to bless him with the adequate energy needed to do his job.

The Lord promised him the energy to hold the earth with a single head (Adiseaha has 1000 heads). Adiseaha, with the blessings of Lord Shiva came to this part of Kumbakonam where one leaf of Vilwa fell from the nectar pot. He installed a Linga here and worshipped the Lord.

As Nagaraja the king of snakes worshipped the Lord here, He is praised as Nageswarar.The place where the Vilwa fell from the nectar pot floating through floods, was called Vilwa Vanam. Lord is also praised as Vilwa Vanesar, Padala Beeja Nathar, Madanthai Bagar and Selva Piran.

Greatness Of Temple:

The temple was surrounded by bushes. It was the year 1923. A Shiva devotee, Padagacherry Ramalingaswamy collected funds by tying a brass bowl around his neck begging all. He renovated the temple with the funds he thus collected little by little. He also conducted the consecration of the temple.

The next consecration took place in 1959 and finally again in 1988. Lord Nageswara is seated on a big Avudayar. He is small in size.Sun God prays to Lord with his rays on Panguni 11, 12 and 13 in March.

People pray to Lord Nageswara on Mondays and Thursdays for relief from the adverse aspect of serpent planet Rahu delaying marriage and child boon.

Mother Periyanayaki graces the devotees with Her blessing hand–Abhaya Karam. The reputation of the temple is in its Pralayakala Rudra Shrine–Sannidhi.There are also shrines for Mother Vishnu Durga and Sun.