Temple's Speciality:
Temple's Speciality:

Change Language   

There is an idol of Sri Anjaneya in front of Lord Shiva shrine playing the Veena, an ancient divine musical instrument of Tamilnadu. Those aspiring skill in music pray to Him.


Ketu God


Crouching Lion


Zodiac Sagittarius



Amman / Thayar


Old year

1000-2000 years old






Tamil Nadu





Sri Singeeswar Temple, Mappedu Post – 631 403,

Via–Perambakkam, Tiruvallur district.

Phone: +91 44 -2760 8065, 94447 70579, 94432 25093

Opening Time:

The temple is open from 6.00 a.m. to 10.00 a.m. and from 5.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.


Pradosham, the 13th day either from new moon or full moon and Mahashivrathri in February–March are important festival days of the temple.

Temple History:

Sri Nandi Deva, also known as Singhi, played the Mridangam an accompanying instrument to the dance of the Lord at Tiruvalangadu, one of the five Sabhas related to Shiva Dance. In his deep professional attention, Nandi was playing the instrument closing his eyes, hence lost viewing the dance. He begged the Lord to dance for him again to enjoy His performance. Pleased with his professional bhakti, the Lord asked Nandi to come to Meipedu on Earth. Nandi came here, worshipped the Lord where He performed the dance again. As Singhi–Nandhi is worshipped in the place, the place is named as Singheeswaram and the Lord Singheeswarar. Mother is worshipped in the name of Pushpagujambal–Poomulainayaki related to fragrant flowers.

Greatness Of Temple:

There is an idol of Sri Anjaneya playing the Veena in this temple. Those aspiring skill in music pray to him in particular. He belongs to Moola star. It is noteworthy that the birth star of Kalaivani–Saraswathi, the Goddess of Wisdom is also Moola. It is said that Mother Saraswathi wrote the Singanatha seed letters on the tongue of Sri Anjaneya with the stem of a lotus flower. This gave the Indian Herculeus clarity in his speech and an ability to protect people in distress using tactics needed for the time. He was celebrated as Sollin Selvan in Tamil and Nava Vyakarna Pandit in Sanskrit. Moola people are advised to pray in this temple for gaining excellence in education and speech.

There is a shrine for Sri Veerabaleeswara in the northeastern corner of the temple the antiquity of which dates back to 5000 years. If one prays to the presiding deity and Nandhi simultaneously at Pradosham hours (4.30 p.m. to 6.00 p.m. each day) standing on the Nava Vyakarna stone, they will be cured of all bone and joint related diseases, it is believed. People would realize their wishes if they pray to Mother Durga for 42 weeks continuously by lighting lamp in the shrine.

The temple was built by Aditya Karikalan II in the year 976. He is the father of Rajaraja Cholan who built the Thanjavur Big Temple. Later during the reign of Krishnadevaraya, his viceroy Dalavai Ariyanadha Mudaliar used his influence and built the Rajagopuram–Main Tower, compound wall and 16 pillar Mandap in the year 1501.