EligibilityGraduation in any Discipline with a master's degree or a diploma in sales and marketing, or master of business administration with a specialization in sales and marketing is required to pursue a career in this field. There are number of institutes which offer courses in sales and marketing and its related field.
Skills and personal qualities
• excellent organizers, with the ability to prioritise and allocate work
• good communicators, in person, on the phone and in writing
• enthusiastic, ambitious and self-motivated
• knowledgeable about their products and those of their competitors
• good at managing and motivating people
• able to work on their own initiative
• able to work calmly under pressure and meet deadlines
• Good at accounts and report writing.
Ability to work in a dynamic global environment, proactive approach and a high level of enthusiasm, good verbal and written communication skills, ability to meet strict and aggressive deadlines. A background in media, public speaking or sales is generally preferred. A driving record is generally required for sales and marketing. Sales and marketing candidates can be found in all job sectors. Some of the major areas of employment include finance, manufacturing, retail, wholesale distribution and information technology. There is a constant demand for skilled sales and marketing representatives and people capable of managing them effectively.
There are no set qualifications, and many sales and marketing candidates are promoted into the job after three or four years' experience and with a strong record of achievement. An increasing number of employers are recruiting applicants with higher education qualifications. Some people move into sales from a technical or scientific job in design, production or pharmacology.
Most companies provide in-house training on their products, organization and the methods used for sales and marketing administration. This could be done at head office or an external training centre.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) offers a range of part-time qualifications at colleges and training centers throughout the UK. These lead to membership of the Institute and include:
• Certificate in Professional Sales
• Advanced Certificate in Professional Sales Management
• Advanced Certificate in Professional Key Account Management
• Intensive Diploma in Professional Sales.
The Institute of Sales and Marketing Management (ISMM) offers the following relevant qualifications:
• Level 2 NVQ/SVQ in Sales
• Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Sales and Marketing
• Level 5 Diploma in Strategic Sales (Sales Management or Key Account Management).
The Managing and Marketing Sales Association (MAMSA) also has a range of courses:
• Stage 2 Certificate in Sales Marketing
• Stage 3 Higher Diploma in Marketing
• Stage 4 Advanced Diploma in Sales Management
• Stage 5 Certificate in Marketing Strategy
• Diploma in Marketing Strategy and Management.
Promotion possibilities for sales and marketing depend on their sales results. Successful people may be able to progress into senior management positions, such as sales or marketing director, or take responsibility for larger areas. Many use their experience and track record to move into higher paid jobs, and managers tend to move companies or location every few years. It may be possible to move into research and product development, particularly for sales managers in the scientific or engineering sectors.
Institutes : Click here for more information