Akshaya Tritiya is celebrated on the third tithi or the third lunar day of the bright half of the Moon also called the Shukla Paksha in the Indian month of Vaishakha. The name "Akshaya" in Sanskrit means "never diminishing" and "Tritiya" means "the third day".
On this day both the Sun and the Moon would be exalted in the zodiac sky and hence anything done on this day like meditation, prayers, donations and other spiritual activities are said to stay with the person forever. The whole day would be very auspicious.
As the two luminaries are in a very strong position, the benevolent effect would be just double-fold on this particular day. It is believed that by doing a good deed on this day one can earn Punya for life. This day is considered most auspicious for purchases, starting of new ventures etc.As a tradition people in India prefer buying gold as there is a belief that prosperity stays with them, though there are no direct proof to substantiate this. Some say that this is a gimmick developed by traders to lure people into buying things.
Legends behind Akshaya Tritiya
• The Puranas say that the Akshaya Tritiya day marks the beginning of the Treta Yug - the birthday of Parasurama, the sixth incarnation of Vishnu.
• Mythologically speaking, Kubera, the treasurer in Heaven received his wealth on this day from Lord Siva.
• It is on this day that Lord Siva blessed Goddess Lakshmi with wealth.
• According to another legend, the "Akshaya bowl" which creates unlimited food was given to the great king Yudhishtira on this day.
• Also on this day the "Avatars", -Gods incarnation on the earth plane, were blessed to rule their countries. They received wealth on this day.
• Two people were born on this 3rd moon day. One is Parasurama, the warrior Brahmin who destroyed all his enemies and then became a sage. The second one was Annapurani, a special form of Parvati who feeds the hungry. Legend has it that Goddess Annapurani fed Lord Siva on this day.
• Also as per another legend connected with Arasar Koil, Lord Ganesha seems to have gifted the Akshaya bowl - the divine vessel of inexhaustible food to Garuda -the Vehicle of lord Vishnu. Garuda worshiped Lakshmi who happens to reside in this temple and Goddess Lakshmi offered this Akshaya bowl in gold to Garuda.
Things to do on Akshaya Tritiya
1. Snana or taking the ritual bath
2. Dana or donation
3. Japa or chanting or prayer
4. Tapa or penance or meditation
5. Marriages can be done on this auspicious day
6. Making new purchases is highly beneficial on the day of Akshaya Tritiya
7. You may make commitments on this day
8. Akshay Tritiya is considered very auspicious for spiritual activities
Buying of Gold and Jewellery items is certainly not listed in the Vedic scripts. These are all the ploy and gimmicks made by vested interests according to well-known astrologers
Benefits of doing good on Akshaya Tritiya Day
1. If you do charity, you will conquer the pain of death.
2. If you help the poor and down-trodden, you will be blessed in your next birth.
3. If you give clothes to poor people, you will get over diseases.
4. If you give fruits, you will get higher position in life.
5. If you give butter milk, buttermilk, etc, you will progress in studies.
6. If you give grains, you will not die untimely.
7. If you give curd rice, you will get over your negative deeds and progress in life.
Astrological Significance of Akshaya Tritiya
On this day, the Moon will be in the star Mrigasira, ruled by the planet Mars. This star holds the energy to give fulfillment and joy to the natives. The Moon will be exalted in Taurus. Mars, the star lord, is along with Saturn in Scorpio, and will be receiving the aspect from the Moon.
The star lord, Mars, in his own sign along with Saturn will help you persevere in your passion and drive.
The day is filled with the energy of Mars, the planet of passion, so you can seek to reach your ambition and overcome all challenges to your best ability. This is also the best day for you to be assertive and determined to reach your goal and ambition.
The association of Mars and the Moon is called "Chandra Mangala yoga". This is a wealth-creating yoga. By offering prayers to Goddess Mahalakshmi on this day, you can receive divine favor from her.